Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Gluten Free Chili Fries

A few weeks ago, Linda over at glutenfreehomemaker.com posted a delicious looking recipe for cheeseburger fries.


I made a few changes and came up with this version...gluten free chili fries....

Here's what I used....

5 russet potatoes
butter
salt and pepper
olive oil
GF taco seasoning (I used this recipe http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/glutenfreemixes/r/gftacoseasoning.htm but left out the cumin, cornstarch and sugar and cut up an onion to cook with the beef instead of adding onion powder)
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 of a medium onion diced

I used Rachel Ray's basic recipe for oven steak fries here http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/oven-steak-fries-recipe/index.html

But I cut the spices down and just sprinkled the potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and moved them around on the cookie sheet to coat. With the flavors in the meat, I though the extra spices on the steak fries were too much...

Also be sure to grease the cookie sheet before adding the fries and other ingredients, I just greased it with Earth Balance buttery spread.

Brown and break up the ground beef with the onion till beef is no longer pink.

Drain beef and return to pot.

Add about 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning to the beef and onion and heat over medium low heat. I also added just a little water to thicken the mixture.

When the fries are done, remove from oven and spoon meat mixture on top. I did not add cheese, but you could add some cheese or cheese substitute if you'd like. We topped ours with some GF ketchup. YUM!

This recipe is linked to It's a Keeper Thursdays at http://www.everydaytastes.com/2012/01/19/its-a-keeper-thursday-recipe-project-linky-40/

1 comment:

  1. I have never made chili fries before, but I think this recipe is going to change that. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete